[Lenny400] Squeeze rootfs and modernising the kernel

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 23:34:02 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 31. March 2015, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 24.03.2015 um 23:46 schrieb David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk>:

> > I noticed the 3.12-wip-letux400 branch at
> >
> >  http://git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git
> >
> > and will look into that.
>
> Well, it is just a dummy. No real work has been done to support the Letux
> 400 in this kernel, but I would be happy to support such a project. Maybe
> we could even rebase and jump forward to 4.0-rc6 :)

We'll see. Unfortunately, quite a lot has happened since 2.6.24.3. :-)

> > Is that likely to be a better approach than
> > attempting to merge the changes to the 2.6.24 kernel into a later
> > release?
>
> The problem is that the jz4730 SoC isn’t supported by any official
> kernel. Just the jz4740 SoC and they have quite some differences (but also
> similarities).
>
> And, the documentation of the jz4730 did exist online but has disappeared
> a while ago. So the first step would be to collect as much about the jz4730
> SoC as possible.
>
> Maybe you can find copies of
> http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/WebHome in some wayback
> machine?

There seem to be some documents that can be retrieved via archive.org and
also elsewhere.

> Or someone just reading this list has archived some (or all) documents?
>
> I have uploaded what I had found a while ago:
>
> http://download.goldelico.com/letux-400/files/

Thanks for those. I think they will overlap what has already been found, but
it's always good to have another archive available.

> The next step could be to extend the mips cpu support for the jz4730 in
> the kernel.org arch/mips tree (unfortunately they are not yet on DT like
> ARM which would make some things a little easier like formally describing
> the SoC).

That's what I've been led to believe regarding the device tree work but I'm
not focusing on this myself. At the moment I'm trying to reuse work I've done
on other embedded-like systems for the user space software the minibook will
need. I'll try to keep you updated about both of these efforts. Is this
mailing list the best place for that?

David