[Lenny400] jz4740.dtsi (JZ4730 DT upstream)

Paul Burton paul.burton at imgtec.com
Tue Apr 21 22:40:59 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:47:04PM +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Monday 20. April 2015 10.52.13 Zubair Lutfullah Kakakhel wrote:
> > On 19/04/15 10:38, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > >
> > > The community behind the mailing list on CC: is interested on doing a
> > > similar step for the jz4730 (even if it is old and out of production
> > > there have been some nice 7 inch Mini-PCs/Subnotebooks around this SoC).
> > >
> > > And we want to build upon your work to avoid that we start something
> > > incompatible.
> >
> > Thank-you for contacting us. Upstream work should definitely be
> > collaborative.
>
> It's great to see the custodian of the architecture focusing on getting the
> Ingenic SoCs fully supported in the mainline kernel. This benefits everyone!

Absolutely, and help with supporting more SoCs is definitely welcome :)

>From a quick google it appears there are a lot of variants of JZ4730
netbook, which is pretty cool! Do you happen to know whether any of them
are still available to buy anywhere?

> > > So I wonder what the latest status/plans are for getting jz4740.dtsi (and
> > > related rework) upstream?
> >
> > See this for the latest work on jz4780 and jz4740.
> >
> > https://github.com/paulburton/linux/tree/wip-ci20-v4.1
> >
> > Our focus is on jz4780 and MIPS Creator CI20 support upstream.
> >
> > We are working on jz4740 for maintaining compatibility.

You may be interested in the revised series I submitted earlier today to
support the JZ4780, which is what's also present in that (often rebased)
branch on github:

  http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2015-04/msg00284.html

> I see that there's support for jz4770/jz4775, too. Is it also a priority to
> get this upstream?

The JZ4775 is something I'd personally like to get supported upstream.
It's used in at least Ingenic's Newton development board & in a few
smart watches. So I intend to get the Newton & the SmartQ Z1 watch
supported upstream when I can. That's not a work-time thing though.

The JZ4770 is being worked on by the guys behind the GCW Zero games
console that is built around it, and we've started to consolidate &
share more code. So that should end up upstream sometime too. Most of
the people involved can often be found in #ci20 on freenode if you're
interested.

> > I don't know about the differences between jz4730 and jz4740.
> >
> > If they are little, then it shouldn't be too difficult
> > to add another device tree file for jz4730.
> >
> > And I have cc'ed Paul Burton in this email as well as he is working on
> > them.
>
> Other people will know more about the differences than I do, but we have
> struggled to find sufficiently informative documentation for the jz4730,
> having to deduce the details from Ingenic's "code drops" for ancient kernels.
> It would certainly be nice to have more than just the datasheet to work from,
> if there is anything else that could be released.

Indeed, I'm afraid I don't have the programmers manual for the JZ4730
either so it's difficult to see how much effort is needed. I'll see
whether we can do anything about that.

> Paul
>
> P.S. I seem to continually struggle with cloning things over HTTP and from
> GitHub:
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/paulburton/linux.git paulburton-linux
> Cloning into 'paulburton-linux'...
> remote: Counting objects: 4144783, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (230/230), done.
> remote: Total 4144783 (delta 174), reused 32 (delta 32), pack-reused 4144521
> Receiving objects: 100% (4144783/4144783), 962.17 MiB | 1.53 MiB/s, done.
> fatal: pack is corrupted (SHA1 mismatch)
> fatal: index-pack failed
>
> Suggestions for this are welcome. (I never had such pathological cloning
> issues with Mercurial from any repository provider, and it's all starting to
> get rather annoying.)

Very odd. Perhaps you could try cloning via SSH rather than HTTPS? Or
you could try cloning Linus' tree from kernel.org, adding my github repo
as a remote & fetching or pulling from it?

Thanks,