[Lenny400] [Mipsbook-devel] Squeeze rootfs and modernising the kernel

ard ard at kwaak.net
Wed Apr 1 09:50:34 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 07:35:11AM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 31.03.2015 um 23:34 schrieb David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk>:

> >> Well, it is just a dummy. No real work has been done to support the Letux
> >> 400 in this kernel, but I would be happy to support such a project. Maybe
> >> we could even rebase and jump forward to 4.0-rc6 :)
> >
> > We'll see. Unfortunately, quite a lot has happened since 2.6.24.3. :-)
> Yes… Approx. 35 releases (with 6-8 rc each).

But also a lot of improvement on ubi. We can use ubi for the 2
nand chips, and use ubifs on that.

> >> The problem is that the jz4730 SoC isn’t supported by any official
> >> kernel. Just the jz4740 SoC and they have quite some differences (but also
> >> similarities).
> >>
> >> And, the documentation of the jz4730 did exist online but has disappeared
> >> a while ago. So the first step would be to collect as much about the jz4730
> >> SoC as possible.
> >>
> >> Maybe you can find copies of
> >> http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/WebHome in some wayback
> >> machine?

Sorry about that. My twiki was compromised and the easiest way
out was to just stop the apache.
I will find a way to correct it. Maybe just read-only. There is
not a lot of information though.

> > There seem to be some documents that can be retrieved via archive.org and
> > also elsewhere.
> >
> >> Or someone just reading this list has archived some (or all) documents?
> >>
> >> I have uploaded what I had found a while ago:
> >>
> >> http://download.goldelico.com/letux-400/files/

Those schematics seem awesome

> > Thanks for those. I think they will overlap what has already been found, but
> > it's always good to have another archive available.
> >
> >> The next step could be to extend the mips cpu support for the jz4730 in
> >> the kernel.org arch/mips tree (unfortunately they are not yet on DT like
> >> ARM which would make some things a little easier like formally describing
> >> the SoC).
> >
> > That's what I've been led to believe regarding the device tree work but I'm
> > not focusing on this myself. At the moment I'm trying to reuse work I've done
> > on other embedded-like systems for the user space software the minibook will
> > need. I'll try to keep you updated about both of these efforts. Is this
> > mailing list the best place for that?

I am pre-occupied with exynos (odroids/chromebooks) atm. I have a
Letux 400, and an epc700 (from intertoys). At least one battery
and battery cover is broken. Although I do not want to part with
them, I can send these to anyone who is actually active, and put
them to better use.
The epc700 has a serial console "break out", but no build in
wifi. Or it might have it. I did some soldering.

> There was another mailing list not only for the Letux 400 but all MIPS based
> minibooks. I don’t know if it is still alive:

I'm not even sure how it popped up in my inbox ;-).

Regards,
Ard van Breemen

--
.signature not found