[Lenny400] Boot Keys

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 14 07:56:38 CEST 2010

We recently discovered a major issue with the boot keys.

Originally, we did write to press Fn + Left-Shift + Ctrl
while powering up to boot the Debian Lenny system
from SD card.

This has a negative side-effect: it will copy the new
2.6 kernel into internal flash, overwriting the original
2.4 kernel. The Debian Lenny system will run fine,
but if you want to boot back to the original system
it won't boot any more!

So here the correct procedure:

press Fn + Left-Shift
never press Fn + Left-Shift + Ctrl

Another hint: press Fn + Left Shift long enough.
The test for this key combination comes right before
the init process is started. I.e. approx. 10 seconds
after you have powered on.

We have updated the documentation. Please refer
to:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/l400-rootfs/page/Operation/