[Gta04-ubuntu-touch] [Tinkerphones] GTA04: TV-out working again!

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Jun 3 19:05:53 CEST 2018

Hi,

> Am 03.06.2018 um 18:51 schrieb Jonatan Hatakeyama Zeidler <jonatan_zeidler at gmx.de>:
>
> Hello
>

> Am 03.06.2018 um 11:33 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>> Regarding hardware, there is also the zero phone: https://wiki.zerophone.org
> I know. But the Raspberry Zero is weak. How are the tinkerphones compared to it? How much RAM, how much memory, which processors?

Depends on...

>> That is a really interesting idea full in line with our overall goals. There was
>> some interest 2 years ago, and we already had installed a mailing list:

> subscribed.
>> But it remained almost inactive. So let me invite you to just make use of it.
>> Your initiative can make the ball rolling again.
> Lets see.
>> Let me ask some question that come to my (naive) mind:
>> * how does ubuntu touch differ from desktop ubuntu?
> UT has some mostly security orientated design choices that differ from Ubuntu desktop:
> * The root files system is read-only (you can remount it, but changes get lost by the next update), while the home partition is writable
> * The system gets updated by OTA (over the air) updates. This means the whole root files system gets replaced.

> * Apps get installed and updated as click packages that are (normally) confined and have their dependencies packaged
> * There is a Content Hub that Apps can (and if confined, have to) use to communicate with each other
> * The desktop environment is Unity8 (which does not work on Desktop at the moment, but is being worked on)
>> * do they share apt-get repositories?
> Yes, they do. But usually you would not use that. Remember: The rootfs is read-only and changes get lost via updates. But their is a way to install "legacy" applications via apt-get in libertine containers. But usually this does not help very much as the GUIs aren't made for Smartphone Screens.

Ah, ok. My misunderstanding was that Ububtu Touch is a simple extension to standard Ubuntu like Xfce or LXDE or Gnome (this is also the way QtMoko or QuantumSTEP are built) and not a separate system with its own rootfs management philosophy.

>> * how is it installed? does a "apt-get install ubuntu-touch" suffice?
> Unfortunately no. All current Ubuntu Touch devices are Android-based and thus UT can only be installed with android tools like adb and fastboot. There is the ubports-installer which makes that easy for the supported devices. The Librem 5 and the Raspberry will be the first ones that are not Android-based and we still need to find the best way to provide Ubuntu Touch for those true GNU/Linux devices.

There is Replicant for GTA04 (although not well maintained at the moment) which could suffice.

>> * what are minimum requirements to memory, screen resolution?
> I think the weakest UT devices have at least 1 GB RAM and 8 GB storage. How about tinkerphones?

The GTA04 has (depending on production variant) between 512MB and 1GB RAM + 512MB to 1GB NAND flash + µSD up to 32GB (maybe 256 GB also works).

A potential Pyra-Phone (if it is ever built) could have 2-4GB and up to 3 µSD with up to 256 GB (and even more if one can afford). And if that is not enough it would have an SATA port for external storage :)