[Gta04-owner] First trial with QtMoko2

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Mar 28 14:02:26 CEST 2018

Hi,

> Am 28.03.2018 um 13:03 schrieb Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de>:
>
> Hello,
>
> meanwhile I got the phone from Thierry. So now I can keep my "old" GTA04A4 with the well working QtMoko v55 and use the "new" GTA04A5 for being able to play around as much as I want without risking to brick anything that I need or that I'm at least used to have functional. Many thanks to Thierry!
>
> But I'm just still a little bit alienated that apparently noone other voted for getting that excellent phone. Especially are there really no more developers around who're still interested in it?

Looks to me as if people (especially outside of our list) simply don't know what they are missing...

Some seem to prefer to wait for a Librem 5 or Neo900 instead of playing with existing hardware.

> Nevertheless, with this phone I was able to boot the SD card that I previously created due to the advices of Nikolaus and Andreas without any problems. QtMoko2 came up, asked me for touch calibrating and PIN, then was ready to be played with.

Fine! That is how software should work "out of the box". Although difficult to achieve...

> After having satified some of my first curiosity by calling the application "system information" and getting informed that it's QtMoko v59 built at Feb, 23th, 2018 with kernel built by "hns" - thus Nikolaus - that I have under my fingers, I straightforwardedly choosed the game application QtMaze. But there instead of being able to jockey a ball into a hole by nicely tilting the phone, QtMoko hang up completely at once and reliably reproducible . Only removing the battery will be able to wake it up again.

Well, it might use the accelerometer chip and the new code may not have been updated to "understand" the different chips or kernel API of the GTA04A5. Should not be very difficult to fix.

Maybe you can install:

	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-qtmoko.git;a=blob;f=scripts/qpe-debug;h=139441e573ebb6d860f8de8dbc840bbf4a4867d2;hb=407fc14951fb30b9b7b0fb9259efa212c0ce4c09

on the SD card and ssh into the device and then run /root/qpe-debug.

Then QtMoko should come up as usual but will not suspend and print more logs.

Maybe there is a helpful log entry before/when QtMaze hangs.

> So now the dump question is: Who will clone some developers who fix such insignificant but aggravating regressions? Might it really be that even such irrelevant trivia (in regard to their importance, of course not in regard to the time and effort for a developer) will all stick at Nikolaus?

We should also mention Andreas and Josua who have made this possible by their contributions.
Nevertheless, we are just a tiny team.