[Gta04-owner] Qtmoko on GTA04: the good, issues and some questions

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Mar 20 18:49:33 CET 2018

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:49:44 +0100

> Hi cnut,
>
> > Am 20.03.2018 um 00:25 schrieb cnut <cnut at posteo.de>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > since some days I am using my GTA04 with the new QtMoko. This post describes my findings as a user and maybe someone can provide answer some of my questions.
> >

> > The installation:
> > makesd was downloaded and configured for my sd card reader/writer device.
> > The sd card reader was equipped with an empty sd card (without any partitions and without any file system). The installation was as easy as:
> >  ./makesd gta04 -r qtmoko
> > It created the partitions, the file systems and installed the Wheezy version of QtMoko on the sd card.
> >
> > The first time I started the GTA04 with the QtMoko sd card inside, I was holding the aux button when inserting the battery.
>
> > This led to the boot menu, where I started QtMoko by choosing "SD:1". Afterwards, it was enough to just use the power button for starting QtMoko.
>
> It might not even be necessary to use the AUX button, but doesn't harm.
>

> > The good stuff:
> > - PIN entry works, mobile provider is found within seconds, sound quality of the calls is fine
> > - Switching back between earpiece and speaker during calls works
> > - Even when travelling in a fast riding train with lots of cell switching, the phone ran well
> > - Battery life is better that than the "old" QtMoko versions some years ago
>
> Great!
>
> > The issues:
> >
> > Charging the GTA04 via the original OpenMoko power supply did not work: I tried it for 30 minutes when it was powered on and later when it was powered down. In both cases the energy symbol showed after a fresh reboot less power (and no charging battery animation). The same power supply charged the same battery in a GTA02 afterwards.
> > Using an USB cable connected to a powered on computer, does charge the battery.
>
> Hm. Maybe unplugging & replugging might help?
> But there may also be some logic in QtMoko to control charging depending on where the power comes from.

There is some charging logic duplicated in qtmoko userspace which is
now in kernel. I have cleaned up stuff, but maybe there is something
missing with the om charger. BTW: Did you connect it the right way:
first to the wall outlet and then to the openmoko?

> > I was not able to change the audio volume during calls. My assumption is that the neotool has to be used for this. But I am not able to move the slider there.
> > My workaround was to ssh in the GTA04, start alsamixer, do a call, set the alsamixer values and save these befor hanging up.

If I remember correctly I have not touched neotool yet. So it might not
work yet.

> > No sound when using cable headsets. I tried 2 different headsets which fitted both in the audio jack.
> >
> > Wireless lan was not checked by me. Activating bluetooth via UI seems not to be possible. I did not invest time in both (because I do not need these).

maybe bluez from wheezy is simply too old for the new kernels.

> Probably they both don't work since the assumptions of qtmoko what the kernel provides may now be wrong with the latest kernels.
>
> > The "Backup Settings" in the Settings menu does nothing. Because I am backing my stuff via ssh, I do not need it.
> >
> > After booting, sometimes I was not able to make a call and the screen showed a message "can`t find modem". Maybe a physical not-so-well-fixed sim card was the issue.
> >

> > It would be cool if the debian package sqlite3 would be included (116 kByte of archives), because you can then delete all contacts using ssh easily.
>
> Yes, having the sqlite3 command line tool available is a great idea! You can not only delete contacts but maybe add or sync some...
>
> I have added it to the dependencies of letux-qtmoko.deb [1] so after apt-get update && apt-get upgrade it should be available (assuming you have internet connection from the gta04).
>
> [1]: http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/debian/dists/jessie/main/binary-all/
>

> > Some questions:
>
> These are difficult to answer since we do not yet understand every code line of qtmoko... We mainly managed to get it compiled and fixed some obvious kernel interface names (touch, modem, battery).
>

> > As in older QtMoko versions, sometimes all contacts are copied to the sim card. Is there a way to prevent this?
> >
> > Is there a way to delete the contacts on a sim card using a bash script when the sim card is inserted in a GTA04?
>
> This should be possible using the "femtocom" tool. Look at /root/tam or /root/wlan-status how it can be used to send AT commands to the modem.

gammu is a nice tool for doing such stuff. You do not need to send at
commands manually.

Regards,
Andreas