[Gta04-owner] Qtmoko on GTA04: the good, issues and some questions

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Mar 20 17:49:44 CET 2018

Hi cnut,

> Am 20.03.2018 um 00:25 schrieb cnut <cnut at posteo.de>:
>
> Hello,
>

> since some days I am using my GTA04 with the new QtMoko. This post describes my findings as a user and maybe someone can provide answer some of my questions.
>

> The installation:
> makesd was downloaded and configured for my sd card reader/writer device.
> The sd card reader was equipped with an empty sd card (without any partitions and without any file system). The installation was as easy as:
>  ./makesd gta04 -r qtmoko
> It created the partitions, the file systems and installed the Wheezy version of QtMoko on the sd card.
>
> The first time I started the GTA04 with the QtMoko sd card inside, I was holding the aux button when inserting the battery.

> This led to the boot menu, where I started QtMoko by choosing "SD:1". Afterwards, it was enough to just use the power button for starting QtMoko.

It might not even be necessary to use the AUX button, but doesn't harm.

> The good stuff:
> - PIN entry works, mobile provider is found within seconds, sound quality of the calls is fine
> - Switching back between earpiece and speaker during calls works
> - Even when travelling in a fast riding train with lots of cell switching, the phone ran well
> - Battery life is better that than the "old" QtMoko versions some years ago

Great!

> The issues:
>
> Charging the GTA04 via the original OpenMoko power supply did not work: I tried it for 30 minutes when it was powered on and later when it was powered down. In both cases the energy symbol showed after a fresh reboot less power (and no charging battery animation). The same power supply charged the same battery in a GTA02 afterwards.
> Using an USB cable connected to a powered on computer, does charge the battery.

Hm. Maybe unplugging & replugging might help?
But there may also be some logic in QtMoko to control charging depending on where the power comes from.

> I was not able to change the audio volume during calls. My assumption is that the neotool has to be used for this. But I am not able to move the slider there.
> My workaround was to ssh in the GTA04, start alsamixer, do a call, set the alsamixer values and save these befor hanging up.
>
> No sound when using cable headsets. I tried 2 different headsets which fitted both in the audio jack.
>
> Wireless lan was not checked by me. Activating bluetooth via UI seems not to be possible. I did not invest time in both (because I do not need these).

Probably they both don't work since the assumptions of qtmoko what the kernel provides may now be wrong with the latest kernels.

> The "Backup Settings" in the Settings menu does nothing. Because I am backing my stuff via ssh, I do not need it.
>
> After booting, sometimes I was not able to make a call and the screen showed a message "can`t find modem". Maybe a physical not-so-well-fixed sim card was the issue.
>

> It would be cool if the debian package sqlite3 would be included (116 kByte of archives), because you can then delete all contacts using ssh easily.

Yes, having the sqlite3 command line tool available is a great idea! You can not only delete contacts but maybe add or sync some...

I have added it to the dependencies of letux-qtmoko.deb [1] so after apt-get update && apt-get upgrade it should be available (assuming you have internet connection from the gta04).

[1]: http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/debian/dists/jessie/main/binary-all/

> Some questions:

These are difficult to answer since we do not yet understand every code line of qtmoko... We mainly managed to get it compiled and fixed some obvious kernel interface names (touch, modem, battery).

> As in older QtMoko versions, sometimes all contacts are copied to the sim card. Is there a way to prevent this?
>
> Is there a way to delete the contacts on a sim card using a bash script when the sim card is inserted in a GTA04?

This should be possible using the "femtocom" tool. Look at /root/tam or /root/wlan-status how it can be used to send AT commands to the modem.

> I sometimes have the need to block a single number (call barring or automatically hang up for a single number). Is this possible?
> If anybody has an idea how to do this e. g. using a script, please let me know.
>
> When being in a phone number field (e. g. when adding a contact) the standard keyboard is shown. I would love to have just a keyboard with big phone numbers. Is there already such a keyboard?
>
> The Logging has quite some entries like "unkown mouse event type=3, code=18, value = ...". Is this an issue?

I remember having seen this as well. It seems to be the touch pressure reported by the kernel.
This should have been fixed or at least I had planned to fix it.

> QtMoko on the GTA04 is really cool:
>
> Since 9 years I am using a GTA02/Freerunner as my only private phone. In the last years I am trying to find a usable as-open-as-possible replacement with a standard Linux. My current impression ist that QtMoko and GTA04 fills this gap.
> For a lot of tasks it is fast enough to use it as a standard Debian linux computer.

That is what we hope to achieve by revitalizing qtmoko. Hopefully we find more developers to speed things up...

> Hats off to all the hardware and software devs!

thanks and BR,