[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Antwort: Re: QtMoko reloaded

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 1 19:02:55 CET 2018

Hi Andreas and Sven,

> Am 01.03.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> Reason is probably:
>
> sudo does not pass the variables on (security reasons,
> you could do funny things).
> So makesd did not know about your DEV=/dev/sdg
>
> makesd should simply have no default for DEV
> and not do anything if not set.

Well, it has to have some default because if you make 20 sd cards
per day, every keystroke counts. And in 19 times you type
/dev/sdg correctly and then you mistype /dev/sdh + Enter.

So it needs some default you do not have to think about too much.

There is already a secondary default which reads the file ~/.makesd.conf
to set such a default. And the /dev/sdc is only used if that file
does not exist or is empty.

I have already updated the documentation page because that
feature is available for a while.

And we can simply replace the final /dev/sdc default by /dev/null...

> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 17:45:25 +0100
> Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello Nikolaus,
>>
>> correction:
>>
>>   I had an external hard disc "/dev/sdc" and the rootfs had been written
>> to there instead to "/dev/sdg"!!!
>>
>>   SD card is still empty and the data of the external hard disc is
>> lost!!!

Oh, sorry.

It was warned in the description to take care, but that hint doesn't help
of course if it is too late. It may help others reading this mail.

I hope you have a backup.