[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: QtMoko reloaded

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Mar 1 19:01:23 CET 2018

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 18:48:30 +0100

> > Accessing "/dev/sdc<x>" is completely wrong and luckily I had no "/dev/sdc" that could be erased! The same is true for "/media/P<x>"!
>
> Well, it is impossible to perfectly prevent erasing the wrong device, because only the user can know what the SD card reader with an SD really is.
> So it is equally risky as calling fdisk directly.

No,
if you call fdisk you see what disk you use.
Here Sven thought, makesd would access /dev/sdg
but did access /dev/sdc!

That is a different thing.
fdisk does not do any writes when it is called without a device name to
work on!
makesd does.

Sven's sudo construction is just equal to calling
makesd *without* DEV set!!!

In that case makesd should not take a predefined device.

Maybe makesd also should display a list what it wants to do
asking for final confirmation

The best thing would be to call makesd from NAND with a graphical
interface.

> There is at least one protection: you can't overwrite /dev/sda.
>
> What you could do is to just sudo chmod o+rw /dev/your-sd-reader
> but I am not sure what happens with newly created partitions.

No, that would not work, because you want to mount the device and
create device nodes on it, which would require root privileges again.

Regards,
Andreas