[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: QtMoko reloaded

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 1 18:48:30 CET 2018

Hi,

> Am 01.03.2018 um 17:31 schrieb Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de>:
>
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> > Hm. Do you have a non-whitespace white space? Happens sometimes when copying UTF charactersto a terminal.
>
> Ok, after typing the command by hand I got the error that I have no rights to do that. So modified the command once again:
>
>     DEV=/dev/sdg sudo ./makesd qtmoko -r http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/20180224-wheezy-7.11-armhf-qtmoko.tbz <http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/20180224-wheezy-7.11-armhf-qtmoko.tbz>

Ah, ok. Well, it seems to protect the user :)

I usually use an SD card reader of some SBC where I did ssh root access to so I never thought
about needing sudo.

Maybe we should add a check that you really have write access to the specified device.

> Now it worked and created the SD card.

Fine!

> But please note that in the end I got:
>
> -----------------------------------------%<----------------------------------
>
> rmdir: konnte '/media/P2' nicht entfernen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> rmdir: konnte '/media/P3' nicht entfernen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> rmdir: konnte '/media/P4' nicht entfernen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> fsck von util-linux 2.27.1
> rootfs: 26693/7331840 Dateien (7.1% nicht zusammenhängend), 650288/29305190 Blöcke
> fsck von util-linux 2.27.1
> fsck.ext2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden beim Versuch, /dev/sdc2 zu öffnen
> Ist das Gerät möglicherweise nicht vorhanden?
> fsck von util-linux 2.27.1
> fsck.ext2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden beim Versuch, /dev/sdc3 zu öffnen
> Ist das Gerät möglicherweise nicht vorhanden?
> fsck von util-linux 2.27.1
> fsck.ext2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden beim Versuch, /dev/sdc4 zu öffnen
> Ist das Gerät möglicherweise nicht vorhanden?
>
> ----------------------------------------->%----------------------------------

That is a harmless and known bug. The script is not completely checking everything. So these warnings are not prevented.

> Accessing "/dev/sdc<x>" is completely wrong and luckily I had no "/dev/sdc" that could be erased! The same is true for "/media/P<x>"!

Well, it is impossible to perfectly prevent erasing the wrong device, because only the user can know what the SD card reader with an SD really is.
So it is equally risky as calling fdisk directly.

There is at least one protection: you can't overwrite /dev/sda.

What you could do is to just sudo chmod o+rw /dev/your-sd-reader
but I am not sure what happens with newly created partitions.

> Furthermore: Why "fsck.ext2"? My QtMoko v55 and v57 SD cards had already been formatted with "fsck.ext4". So even "fsck.ext3" would have been outdated.

No idea. The script only calls fsck.ext3. Seems to be a bug in util-linux 2.27.1 when printing the error message.
On my system, there are symlinks:

root at letux:~# ls -l /sbin/fsck.ext*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 31  2016 /sbin/fsck.ext2 -> e2fsck
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 31  2016 /sbin/fsck.ext3 -> e2fsck
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 31  2016 /sbin/fsck.ext4 -> e2fsck
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 31  2016 /sbin/fsck.ext4dev -> e2fsck
root at letux:~#

which means they are all the same independently of the ext2/3/4 suffix... One size fits all :)

Anyways, this is just a safety check for a freshly created partition. So it should normally pass and
does not need to be perfect. It fails only if you have a broken SD card or SD card reader which
pretends to have written data...

So I will prepare patches for both issues reported above. They will be available in some
days (after I have tested them).

Thanks for feedback about makesd. It can only become better :)