[Gta04-owner] working headset (configuration)

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Aug 3 08:08:50 CEST 2018

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 17:55:16 +0200

> > Am 02.08.2018 um 17:24 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
> >
> > Hi,

> >> I have to check. Maybe I have one or two. Finding compatible headsets
> >> isn't that easy since 2.5mm 4 pin are no longer common and there have
> >> been two different pin layouts. AFAIR, there was a Nokia and a Motorola
> >> pin assignment and the GTA02 was Motorola compatible. There should be
> >> information on the Openmoko wiki.
> >>
> > Ok, here is a big thinking error. I thought Openmoko Phone (including
> > equipment) - GTA02-Mainboard + GTA04-Board = fully working Letux 2804 phone
> > (including equipment).
>
> Yes. It works with original OpenMoko Headset. Or a 2/3 pin headset (but
> then of course without microphone...).

Are you sure? Or does the sentence in parentheses also apply to the OM headset?
lets cite the GTA04A4-4 Manual p.52:
  and others may even swap more. E.g. the original Openmoko headset has the AUX
  signal on the tip (pin 4).

> > So I never compared pinouts of the headset, according to the equation
> > above. But the pinout is different. Well, in the past I have used the
> > headset mainly as an antenna or sound output. So I never noticed.
> > Just stereo and the mixer seems to be a bit strange.
>
> The outer two rings (towards tip) are the same but the inner ones
> (connected on a 3 pin connector are either GND - A/V or A/V - GND.
>
> The ts3a227e data sheet has a good description. Interestingly, what
> we have is called "Standard" in Table 1...
>
> I have a similar problem with my TV-Out cable. Since the old one was broken,
> I ordered a cheap one through some Internet reseller - and it has the other
> pin assignment. The result is that the TVout goes to the shield
> (incl. L/R audio)... And polarity is inverted.

I had a similar experience

> > Now I have a Nokia HS-47 waiting to be rewired.

It works after swapping AUX and GND. Instructions in the
om wiki for accessing the cables can be used (but not for swapping)

Regards,
Andreas