[Gta04-owner] [Letux-kernel] Testers needed for upgrading your GTA04 to U-Boot 2016.11 + Letux-4.10.4 + Debian/LXDE 8.7

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 21:08:50 CET 2017

Hi Nikolaus,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> in parallel to trying to handle all the other GTA04 tasks, I have fixed
> some minor issues in kernel, u-boot and rootfs so that we have first release
> candidate for a new production SD image.
>
> A production SD image is used for flashing (unbricking) a GTA04 device.
> The last one [1] was based on kernel 3.12 and Debian Wheezy which wasn't
> bad at all, but did not support the OneNAND of the GTA04A5.
>
> The biggest visual change is that there are some LXDE desktop icons for
> starting Simple-Gsmgui [2] (developed by our commmunity member akemnade),
> Camera Demo (camera driver is not working) and GPS demo (well this is
> not even a demo but full FoxtrotGPS). So it should become possible to
> operate the most basic functions from NAND only.
>
> If you have a little time and want to test/upgrade, please follow
> these instructions and report issues and observations.
>
> Please note that if anything fails you might need the RS232 cable
> and the original production image [1].
>
> And as a goodie, there is a tiny video of the GPS demo on the GTA04A5: [3]
>
> BR and have fun,
> Nikolaus
>

> 1. for GTA04A3/4 use maksd [4] to format a "production SD card":
>
>         DEV=/dev/sdd ./makesd gta04
Thisudo DEV=/dev/sdf ./makesd gta04
1: fat 5% b:/+http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/GTA04/latest/*
k:/+http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/latest/uImage
dt:/+http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/latest/device-trees.tbz
r:none m:none c:none
2: ext4 95% b:/+none k:/+none dt:/+none
r:http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/latest-lxde.tbz
m:http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/latest/modules.tgz
c:http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/latest-config.tgz
3: none 0% b:/+none k:/+none dt:/+none r:none m:none c:none
4: none 0% b:/+none k:/+none dt:/+none r:none m:none c:none
/media/P1:
total 0

/media/P2:
total 0
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1,0 MB, 1,0 MiB) copied, 0,272873 s, 3,8 MB/s
sfdisk: --Linux option is unnecessary and deprecated
Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ... OK

Disk /dev/sdf: 7,6 GiB, 8168931328 bytes, 15954944 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

>>> Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x6b983516.
Created a new partition 1 of type 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)' and of size 389,5 MiB.
/dev/sdf2: Created a new partition 2 of type 'Linux' and of size 7,2 GiB.
/dev/sdf3:
New situation:

Device     Boot  Start      End  Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdf1  *       128   797867   797740 389,5M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdf2       797868 15954943 15157076   7,2G 83 Linux

The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
mkfs.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
mkfs.fat: warning - lowercase labels might not work properly with DOS or Windows
/dev/sdf1: No such file or directory
mount: special device /dev/sdf1 does not exist
s step fails for me and not sure why (seems boot partition is not mounted):

I tried to manually format partition but I got still same error. Any
ideas what else to check? I'm using ubuntu 16.04. Thanks.

> or for GTA04A5 (OneNAND):
>
>         DEV=/dev/sdd ./makesd gta04one
>
> The reason is that they need differently compiled SPL/U-Boot.
>
> The following procedures do not differ between GTA04A* versions.
>
> 2. boot the GTA04 with this SD card while pressing the AUX button.
> The LCD will turn red while flashing the NAND with MLO/SPL and U-Boot.
>
> If that fails you might need to break into the U-Boot console and do
>
>         nand erase 0x280000 0x80000
>
> This wipes out the old U-Boot environment and U-Boot. And then reflash.
>
> After a while Linux will start, but please reboot once to "wake up"
> some parts of the installation.
>
> 3. log in (console: root/empty or through USB cable and ssh root at 192.268.0.202)
>
> Connect to Internet through USB and configure host for IP forwarding.
> I.e. ping to outside addresses should be working.
>
> Then:
>
>         apt-get update
>         yes | DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install letux-lxde
>
> 4. flash kernel and rootfs to NAND by running on the GTA04
>
>         ./flash-nand -f -k -u
>
> This will be the procedure of factory flashing.
>
> Now, your GTA04 should be up-to date and ready for installation of
> other stuff. Preferably on a different SD card without u-boot partition.
>
> You can generate it on your host PC through
>
>         DEV=/dev/sdd ./makesd debian-lxde
>
> or
>
>         DEV=/dev/sdd ./makesd debian-xfce4
>
> You may apt-get install letux-lxde for the lxde image and
> apt-get install letux8 for the xfce image.
>
> [1]: http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-main/production/
> [2]: https://github.com/akemnade/simple-gsmgui
> [3]: https://youtu.be/9OYH73uFjG0
> [4]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/