[Gta04-owner] What went wrong with Ubuntu's phone effort

Rainer Blome rainer.blome at gmx.de
Thu Jun 29 10:19:09 CEST 2017

Hi Nikolaus,

Nikolaus wrote:
> Have we un-learned to play around and learn just for fun?

Many do that all the time, just not with all toys at once. :-)

Conflicting requirements are everywhere, such as reliability,
performance, versatility, fun factor, community size, price, time to
market, time to play with ("attention span"). There are plenty device
platforms suitable for playing and learning, such as Arduino, Raspberry,
Calliope, Android devices and whatnot, all with fully-developed
communities and ecosystems, prices below 50EUR, competitive performance
etc. Just that they are not phones (Yes, the Raspberry phone was already
mentioned on this list).

People prioritize their requirements. My impression is that for an
*everyday* phone, most people's primary requirement is reliability.
Sounds like Ubuntu Phones were not reliable, both in technical and
marketing sense. This may have led to frustration and anger, and less
desire to play with and invest in.

Also my impression: At least some teams aiming for an established
platform are succeeding, at least for a while. I can't really compare
though, because GTA04/Letux is the only "platform" that I've been
watching for such a long time (7y?). That it has lived this long, with
no signs of stopping, is a success, I think.

Regards, Rainer