[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 charging?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 13 14:28:25 CEST 2017

Am 13.07.2017 um 06:33 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:

Hi Rainer,

> Am 12.07.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Rainer Blome <rainer.blome at gmx.de>:
>
> This issue comes up so often that I wonder if anything can be done to fundamentally avoid it.
> The auto-boot voltage level should be high enough so that full boot is likely to succeed before the boot process itself drops voltage to the power-off level, no? Sounds like the level at which the system auto-boots is currently too low, at least for some batteries.
>
> Can the auto-boot voltage level be changed?

No. Or well, it can * after* the first successful boot. But it is reset to hardware defaults after removing the battery.

> Another avenue might be a separate OS instance that boots fast enough,
> dedicated to charging only. Many Android systems use this technique, and successfully so, it seems to me.

There is indeed a known trick: switch the charger to 500mA capability in U-Boot (or even MLO), i.e. within the first 5 seconds.
Then, the GTA04 can run continuously from USB charger (drawing ca. 400mA from the 500mA provided).

We even have some disabled fragment sitting in our U-Boot and an issue report for this:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-xloader/issues/279/

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-uboot.git;a=blob;f=board/goldelico/letux-gta04/twl4030-additions.c;h=0d0c4f385b7d09ef63c4738ca15ed7fccd8617d6;hb=0c5e26e7886ea7d2d934f65e2e6cbf15a2b52bc8#l405

In earlier U-Boot/MLO we had another patch:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-xloader.git;a=blob;f=board/omap3530gta04/omap3530gta04.c;h=1d490c94ad11f5fdba1b3660cce340bde7fb6fa2;hb=HEAD#l112

But this was never worked out or tested. AFAIR it did *not* work as in the source code.

And it needs someone who wants to write and debug a patch.