[Gta04-owner] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: suggestions for rootfs

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 1 07:16:45 CET 2017

> Am 31.01.2017 um 20:38 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:57:24 +0100
>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>>> Am 31.01.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>>>
>>> Quoting Andreas Kemnade (2017-01-31 17:22:46)

>> When is this needed? I could so far use the RS232 console to type the
>> y if needed.
>>
> Well, if you are doing development at home and have the RS232 cable
> you can do that.
> I have not always my laptop with me when I have the GTA04 with me.
> It is good for development tasks to be able to open the case and have
> the cable.
> But since I have a limited amount of cases here it is a good idea to
> avoid wear of them by not open them too often.
>
> Of course I can boot to another partition to fix it from there. But
> that is nasty because you first have to understand what is going on.

Indeed. Well it would be safer to boot from another partition and fix,
but without console log it "just hangs"...

>>> Only relevant when the package sysvinit-core is installed.  By
>>> default with both current and upcoming stable debian, systemd-sysv
>>> is installed instead, which does not use that hint - and in
>>> upcoming stable release the file is not installed at all by default
>>> (so ensure that automated tweaking scripts check existence of the
>>> file before editing!).
>>>
>>> Beware that "not default" implies "less tested"!  It is close to
>>> impossible to avoid systemd on Debian nowadays: If you try, you will
>>> quite likely end up with a system running poorly tested code as
>>> init and _still_ load systemd code indirectly through e.g. the SSH
>>> daemon (unless you aggressively avoid well-tested tools and e.g.
>>> use dropbear for ssh).
>>
>> Basically we have a rootfs that must fit into the 512MB NAND flash
>> limitation (which is more like 450MB) and have something useable in
>> NAND flash for demos or as a fallback if there is no woking µSD
>> installed (which has none of these limitations).
>>
> Hmm, aren't these flash file systems (jffs2/ubifs) compressed or can be?
> So that you have more space.

I am not sure. We use ubifs and AFAIK it "compresses" by using less padding
bytes for many small files. But this just means it uses the blocks more
efficiently. In fact it looks as if I can get ca. 550MB from
µSD into the 460 MB available.

But I have not read about real compression. Could virtually extend the
available space by factor 2 (since so many files are plain ASCII).

Anyone knows how to compress ubifs?