[Gta04-owner] Beginner advice

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 19 09:14:23 CEST 2017

Hi Martin,

> Am 18.04.2017 um 20:47 schrieb Martin Rottensteiner <martin.rottensteiner.list at gmail.com>:
>
> Hello List,
>
> I just received my GTA04A5 device.
> After quite some time I figured out that it starts on itself (no power button) when plugging the charger

Yes, that is standard defined by the twl4030/tps65950 power controller chip. It has "wakeup events" and one of them is plugging in the charger.
This can be changed by software (but it is not permanent if the backup battery gets drained).

> and not using the AUX button while booting to boot the NAND image.
>
> At the moment I have no clue about starting the phone and standby without a charger.
>
> I also read the handbook for the A4 but did not find much information about installing software on SD card. Is there some step by step guide for compiling and putting software on a SD card? In the first step I simply want to run some Debian...

The best starting point is to use the makesd script:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/

e.g.
DEV=/dev/sdc ./makesd debian-lxde

This is (almost) the same system as it was flashed to NAND. But now on SD card. It will automatically
boot if the SD card is inserted (overrides NAND).

Or use the "debian" macro to get a system w/o GUI. You usually do not need the "gta04" or "gta04one"
options of makesd. They would create an SD card for reflashing the boot loader.

In any case you should be able to ssh access the device through USB-ethernet gadget as root at 192.168.0.202
(no password).

> Later I'd also like to install WLAN driver to use debian package manager.

WLAN is also installed and can be enabled by a script in /root/wlan-on $SSID
But wpa isn't configured completely.

> Any hint on where this is documented? Where do you look for such information?

For example

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/doc/
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Wireless/

Please note that not everyhing is up-to-date for GTA04A5 (it does not use a marvell but a TI WLAN)
and the latest kernel isn't described completely.

Otherwise, please just ask here.