[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04A5

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 6 19:00:43 CEST 2017

> Am 25.03.2017 um 19:49 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>
> 3. I have developed a new idea giving some small piece of hope to reduce
> the total loss of money and still get enough devices. The idea is that
> if we assume the claim that the production problem is because of
> the components we have provided, we just throw those away. And ask
> production to buy new replacements which exactly match. Especially
> for the OpenPandora type of memory chip. This should solve the
> production problem and it should run at the same yield as the
> OpenPandora production.
>
> This would have one visible effect on the GTA04A5: we would no longer
> have 1GB RAM and 512MB NAND but 512MB RAM and 1GB NAND. This is
> not really nice since 1GB is a major feature, but we must do it
> the same way as the OpenPandora to get to the high production yield.
>
> On the u-boot/kernel side this raises no problems, since we already
> have multiple variants and some things like memory size are determined
> automatically. So it is only visible in user-space RAM+NAND capacity.
>
> I do not yet have any feedback on this proposal, so it might
> be declined. But if it works out, the total financial loss can be
> reduced very significantly. And all preorders could be easily
> fulfilled, leaving even some more devices for newly interested
> community members.

Well, they declined today. They simply don't want to take over production
risk again (which I can understand looking at the experiences and the small
size of the project). In return for not being able to help reduce the loss
by continuing the production they offered to take a little more share of the
total loss than negotiated last time. So this is something we have to accept
and live with. It won't become better by more negotiations.

So I hope I can start repair attempts on the remaining boards next
week.