[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 - Success!

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat May 7 17:10:57 CEST 2016

Hi,
I finally managed in the haven't-counted attempt to solder a working DM3730 SoC plus the new Samsung PoP RAM/NAND chip on an old GTA04A4 board.

This is the first time the chips did not swim away, did not have short circuits under the chip or didn't work for unknown reasons.

Here is attached a photo:

https://twitter.com/goldelico/status/728961315549663234

The board looks quite maltreated now (especially the inductor near the RAM chip), but still works...

What I see is that the DM3730 starts to boot from the µSD card. It reads the MLO and then tries to load an image

> 3tذb$U   @D  @
>
> Texas Instruments X-Loader (MLO) 1.4.4ss modified for GTA04 (Feb  9 2015 - 14:32:20)
> OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1
> Board detected: GTA04A4
> Memory: unknown (a200 a200) 128MB/bank
> Reading FAT boot sector
> u-boot.bin not found or blank nand contents - attempting serial boot . . .
> ## Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0x80008000 at 115200 bps. Press 'M' to break into low level monitor.

Well, the NAND is still empty :) And MLO must initialize the RAM-Interface for a (still) unknown RAM chip. But
we know the parameters to initialize it correctly.

Please expect more test results in the next days. And a final "go" for the GTA04A5 production run.

BR and thanks for your patience and encouragement,