[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5/Letux 2804: status update

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Mar 4 10:23:02 CET 2016

Hi Martin,

Am 03.03.2016 um 21:43 schrieb Martin Rottensteiner <martin.rottensteiner at gmail.com>:

> Hello list, hello Nikolaus,
>
> sorry for german language, i chose the wrong recipient.
> I know a guy who worked many years in repairing small electronic parts for a large company (i forgot its name). He now runs a repair shop for cell phones in my town. I asked him if he knows how to change such a very small chip. He said that this is no problem. He asked for a photo of the chip and he said he could then tell me how to change it.
> Maybe it would also be an option for you to ask around in cell phone repair shops in your town?

Many thanks for your suggestions!

The problem is less that we don't know how to do it but to do it with the tools and machines we have.

Usually rework is done with a machine like this:

http://www.kurtzersa.de/electronics-production-equipment/rework-inspektionssysteme/reworksysteme/produkt-details/irpl-550-1.html

It costs ca. 20-30000€.

But this method does not guarantee that a rework is successful for a single given unit because PCBs and components are stressed during the rework process. A cell phone repair shop usually has 100 broken devices and wants to make 80 working out of them. So if any isn't working after rework they can take the next one.

Or if the customer comes with a device they don't know (like a GTA04) they probably decline to do anything for it unless it is a simple task (adding a new USB connector for example or replacing battery or display).

What we have is this machine (was also expensive) which is less stressful during the soldering process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imFJ04RIZRI

This type of soldering machines is perfect for mounting stacked packages like OMAP+PoP RAM on a fresh PCB. What we are missing is a tool to precisely and reliably solder a new OMAP+PoP RAM to an existing board (where the old OMAP has already been removed).

Anyways, our new helping tool should arrive today and we will see if it better fits.