[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5/Letux 2804: status update

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 19 18:50:22 CET 2016

Hi all,
I have promised to give more regular status updates on this project.

1. WLAN 5 GHz
from the discussion I got the impression that there is a majority who
wants 5 GHz. It is just replacing the WL1835MOD with WL1837MOD
and one chip antenna with a different one.

So we can decide between at the last possible moment, which is when
components are ordered.

There is also some discussion about new FCC rules. Well, we already have
the problem that we don't have source code for the firmware of the module.

Rather, we have to download a firmware blob from Texas Instruments to
use the module. And I assume that the boot loader of the module does
some CRC check, so nobody (and we as well) are able to modify the firmware
that is certified. Since the modules already have a FCC precertification,
this is sufficient to fulfill all new rules that nobody can modify the radio
spectrum.

It is not nice because it is against our idea of software/firmware freedom,
but to be honest, we are a too small project to change the world. We can
only fight where we can, and that is the application processor running
free and open software (Debian, Replicant, QtMoko etc.).

2. Time plan
I had planned to make the 1GB RAM soldering experiments this week,
but the tool to help getting a tiny amount of solder paste on the chips did
not yet arrive. Looks as if it comes mid of next week.

3. Letux Kernel
is getting more stable again as we test it now on the Pyra hardware and
the GTA04. This reveals some tiny subtle bugs. Nothing really important,
but for the future (e.g. an issue in the touch screen driver).