[Gta04-owner] [Letux-kernel] Kernel 4.5 broken?

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Apr 11 17:19:41 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:27:26 +0200

> I have tried to boot the letux-4.6-rc2 kernel today on a GTA04A3 board and it seems to be broken.
> It simply hangs after
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Going back to letux-4.5-rc7 uImage + DT + modules works.
>
> Also not working on GTA04A3 are 4.5.0. 4.6-rc1 and 4.6-rc2. All these kernels work on the OMAP5.

Hmm, 4.5.0 boots on my GTA04A4.
BTW: You remember my problems I have when booting from 3.7 into 4.x (aka doing shutdown -r 0, select another portition in BL menu)? Maybe we have some nasty race condition here.

Not tested any 4.6 yet.
> Here are the sources of both variants.
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux-4.5-rc7
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux-4.5
>
> So we may have some hidden bug that only shows itself on OMAP3 or the gta04 device
> tree or some peripheral driver (again the twl4030 which is permanently reworked?).
>

> And it shows that we need more people who test the kernels!

What about automating stuff to test some basic functionality automatically
(and run a get_maintainer.pl evil_commit | apply_hammer_on_developers_finger ;)?
Select a minimum set of patches to test basic things on
linus-next, like it boots and displays something.

Regards,
Andreas