[Gta04-owner] Talk: How to overcome mainline kernel obstacles (Sony)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri May 1 09:14:21 CEST 2015

Am 30.04.2015 um 21:11 schrieb Rainer Blome <rainer.blome at gmx.de>:

> Interesting talk:
> How to overcome mainline kernel obstacles (Sony presentation at Embedded
> Linux Conference)
> http://developer.sonymobile.com/2015/04/09/how-to-overcome-mainline-kernel-obstacles-sony-presentation-at-embedded-linux-conference/
>
> Nothing groundbreaking, but shows that GTA04 kernel development
> is on the right track (which is to try to run mainline).

Yes, it is the only option to get new features and bug/security fixes „for free“.

Some time ago I did a statistics and 99,5% of the source code is identical to mainline.
So the GTA04 specific differences are currently just 0,5%.

Running and maintaining our own tree/kernel would mean we would also have to take care of the 99,5%…

So it appears to be much easier to reduce the 0,5% to 0,000% :)
Even if it is more painful (and slower) than just committing to our own tree.

Support for this effort is always welcome [1].

[1]: http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation

PS: hdq is now working with kernel modules and pcm sound to/from the modem (software routing) as well