[Gta04-owner] Firefox OS (was: Upgrade to GTA04)

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Mon Nov 24 09:58:23 CET 2014

On 11/24/14, Lukas Maerdian <luk at slyon.de> wrote:
>>> (5) Did anybody actually try to create a Replicant-based Firefox OS for
>>> GTA04 et al.?
>>
>> I am not aware of, but if someone works on it, please raise your hand!
>
> All I know is this project:
> https://redmine.adorsaz.ch/projects/b2g-manifest
>
> It wasn't officially announced, yet and doesn't seem to be very active.

Some months ago I tried to do that myself - and I failed.

AFAIR Firefox OS supports either Android 4.0 or 4.4 as its base - but
no 4.2. I have no idea how much of a showstopper it is (probably not
much), but it's surely a big problem for someone without any
experience in Android build system (in between location of some stuff
changed between build layers, whole bluetooth system got replaced
etc.).

Also, FxOS seems to require some OpenGL - so it'd need closed SGX
drivers on GTA04. How usable it is without it - I have no idea (my
FxOS build produced only damaged binaries :P), but given that Firefox
The Browser doesn't even launch without it I'm not very optimistic.

I guess someone with FxOS experience should be able to tell us more
about both of these things. I planned to, but didn't have much time to
find and contact one of them willing to help - maybe someone else
could do that? :)

Cheers,
--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak