[Gta04-owner] Further 3.17 kernel development for GTA04

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Nov 5 22:56:26 CET 2014

NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> writes:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:22:29 +0000 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
> wrote:
>
>> What config do you use when building your kernel for GTA04?  I've
>> checked out your 3.17-gta04, but don't see any obvious GTA04 configs
>> under arch/arm/configs.
>
> See below.  I'm in two minds about including this.

Thanks.  After some entertaining diversions (*) I've built and booted
this kernel and can report that it seems to solve two other problems
that were afflicting my last experiments back in June/July:

1. http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2014-June/005723.html

Sound playback appears reliable with this kernel.

2. http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2014-July/005806.html

I'm not seeing X server segfaulting with this kernel.

Thank you!

      Neil

(*) Discovering that the Debian gnueabihf toolchain now requires an
    amd64 host (rather than than i386) and realizing that my host
    machine was still on i386; hence "cross-grading" that machine from
    i386 to amd64.  Only then could I start actually building the
    kernel.

    Working through differences in CONFIG_CMDLINE_* settings...

    Seeing that the boot was complaining "A start is running for
    dev-mmcblk" and hanging for 90s (before starting the SSH server,
    naturally :-() before dropping back to single-user mode and asking
    me to type in the root password (on the phone).  I haven't properly
    understood this, but the fix was to comment out the line for
    /dev/mmcblk0p5 in /etc/fstab.