[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.15-rc7 available

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue May 27 19:18:28 CEST 2014

And again some progress...

> our kernel tree has been upgraded to 3.15-rc7:
>
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.15-rc7
>
> And the best news is that it is now starting to run quite well :)
>
> Some recent fixes:
> * make audio load without error messages
> * fixed/added the GPIO to detect/report the 3G-Wakeup as /dev/input/incoming
> * added LIS302 (for GTA04A3 only) and /dev/input/accels
> * make correct GPIO assignments for GTA04A3/A4/A5 (device tree files)
> * added a driver skeleton that is intended to control the WWAN module power through rfkill (instead of using some gpio number from user space)
> * restored compatibility of frame buffer with older Xorg (e.g. the one from Debian Wheezy that assumes to see a Linux 3.2 kernel)
>
> Ok, let's list what is known to be still broken (see also our issues list [1]):
> * audio has no sound (and is not loaded if configured as kernel modules)
> * touch screen flipped, not dejittered, is crashing Xorg
> * WLAN finds the chip but fails to install firmware
> * Bluetooth can work (if powered on)
> * power control through /dev/ttyO1 and ifconfig does not work for WLAN/BT and GPS
> * 1 GHz CPU is not running at full speed and some dividers are wrong (USB does not work)
> * not implemented at all: Camera (likely to come back with 3.16), GPU
>
> What appears to work (mostly):
> * booting appears to be reliable now
> * display
> * vibramotor
> * buttons
> * USB/OTG
> * most sensors
> * internal USB to control Modem
> * HDQ
> * Charging

Charging did have a problem with udev rules [2].
The problem was (is) that /sysfs nodes for the USB ID pin and the charger are both not stable
and (contrary to earlier kernels) not on the same device node.
So we would need an udev rule that matches two devices. Or is able to set attributes in /dev.
This is beyond udev's capabilities.

The solution [3] is to provide a shell script that reads the ID pin string and sets the max_current
value. And does not access the /sysfs nodes but some symlinks created by the udev rule
in /dev.

[2]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/594/
[3]: http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=commit;h=3b2da523b9c83291037010ff1c3dd583bd8a86bd