[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.15-rc7 available

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon May 26 20:41:15 CEST 2014

Hi,
our kernel tree has been upgraded to 3.15-rc7:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.15-rc7

And the best news is that it is now starting to run quite well :)

Some recent fixes:
* make audio load without error messages
* fixed/added the GPIO to detect/report the 3G-Wakeup as /dev/input/incoming
* added LIS302 (for GTA04A3 only) and /dev/input/accels
* make correct GPIO assignments for GTA04A3/A4/A5 (device tree files)
* added a driver skeleton that is intended to control the WWAN module power through rfkill (instead of using some gpio number from user space)
* restored compatibility of frame buffer with older Xorg (e.g. the one from Debian Wheezy that assumes to see a Linux 3.2 kernel)

Ok, let's list what is known to be still broken (see also our issues list [1]):
* audio has no sound (and is not loaded if configured as kernel modules)
* touch screen flipped, not dejittered, is crashing Xorg
* WLAN finds the chip but fails to install firmware
* Bluetooth can work (if powered on)
* power control through /dev/ttyO1 and ifconfig does not work for WLAN/BT and GPS
* 1 GHz CPU is not running at full speed and some dividers are wrong (USB does not work)
* not implemented at all: Camera (likely to come back with 3.16), GPU

What appears to work (mostly):
* booting appears to be reliable now
* display
* vibramotor
* buttons
* USB/OTG
* most sensors
* internal USB to control Modem
* HDQ
* Charging

So the kernel makes a GTA04 a partially useable PDA with wired internet access...

But since the device tree is now almost feature complete, I would say the kernel has
left alpha-stage and is now ready for beta-testers :)

[1]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/