[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.15 progress / device tree migration

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue May 20 18:00:57 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 20.05.2014 um 17:38 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On 2014-05-20 14:08, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> Progress is slow but more and more things start to work...
>> * Marek has fixed Audio config so that sound cards appear
>> * I have extended the BMA180 driver so that it appears to work with device tree
>> * Marek has fixed the cpufreq stuff
>> * I have added (untested) LIS302 support for GTA04A3 boards
>> * Marek has an idea why our xorg.conf is no longer working
>
> Thanks, this is nice news.  It really seems like the goal of having everything upstream is within reach, and I appreciate your work on that.
>
> I'm curious, though, why I do not see more emails from you/Lukas/Marek on the linux-omap mailing list.  My guess is that that would be the best place for two purposes:
>
> 1) To get help from all the TI experts.
>
> 2) To publicize the GTA04 to all those people and other OMAP workers, so that they take the GTA04 setup into account when making changes / refactorings.
>
> What do you think?  Have you been mostly communicating with other lists instead?

Yes we use other lists and many other sources of wisdom.

The problems we have are very rarely OMAP related. The most important change was DSS but we directly discussed with Tomi.
Most other problems are missing and incompatible drivers and hunting API changes which break our extensions we have brought into 3.7 ... 3.12.

Well, one issue is completely open. It is future camera support. I have neither found a reference to the ISP (Image SIgnal Processor) in the device tree nor don't i know how the Video for Linux should look like in 3.15ff kernels... So that might be a discussion for linux-omap (or perhaps it has already be discussed there?).

But making more publicity would probably be helpful (especially when I think about the GTA04A5)...

>> Other news to notice:
>> * I have reworked the method to produce Debian/LXDE and Production SD images
>> * it now uses a qemu virtual machine (previously it needed
>> installation on a real GTA04 and pulling the image from a physical SD
>> card)
>> * so production images (for flashing latest U-Boot and NAND images)
>> will be more up-to date soon
>> If you don't know or remember what I mean with "Production Image",
>> please refer to:
>> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/55/
>> (Note: we are still in Phase 3 to make DT based kernels god enough for
>> flashing to NAND)
>
> Looks interesting.  I haven't yet read that fully, but can I check that I'm right in thinking that the _current_ recommended stable kernel code is still 3.7-neil-plus ?

I would recommend to use/work with 3.12.7:

http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20140328-GTA04-Production-3.12.7-wheezy-7.3/

It has all features incl. camera, and has a stable UBIFS for NAND. Only power management is not as elaborated as with the 3.7 kernel and 3G acceleration is missing. It is the kernel we use for Replicant 4.2.2 with quite impressive speed. People always say that Android needs quad core 2.5 GHz with 3 GB RAM and great GPU, but single core 0.8 GHz and 0.5 GB RAM and no GPU appears to be sufficient for a smooth experience.

So depending on what you want (daily phone with long standby time or PDA platform with charger near you), you can choose.