[Gta04-owner] Kernel 3.15 progress / device tree migration

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue May 20 17:38:03 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-20 14:08, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Progress is slow but more and more things start to work...
> * Marek has fixed Audio config so that sound cards appear
> * I have extended the BMA180 driver so that it appears to work with
> device tree
> * Marek has fixed the cpufreq stuff
> * I have added (untested) LIS302 support for GTA04A3 boards
> * Marek has an idea why our xorg.conf is no longer working

Thanks, this is nice news.  It really seems like the goal of having
everything upstream is within reach, and I appreciate your work on that.

I'm curious, though, why I do not see more emails from you/Lukas/Marek
on the linux-omap mailing list.  My guess is that that would be the best
place for two purposes:

1) To get help from all the TI experts.

2) To publicize the GTA04 to all those people and other OMAP workers, so
that they take the GTA04 setup into account when making changes /
refactorings.

What do you think?  Have you been mostly communicating with other lists
instead?

> Other news to notice:
> * I have reworked the method to produce Debian/LXDE and Production SD
> images
> * it now uses a qemu virtual machine (previously it needed
> installation on a real GTA04 and pulling the image from a physical SD
> card)
> * so production images (for flashing latest U-Boot and NAND images)
> will be more up-to date soon
>
> If you don't know or remember what I mean with "Production Image",
> please refer to:
>
> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/55/
>
> (Note: we are still in Phase 3 to make DT based kernels god enough for
> flashing to NAND)

Looks interesting.  I haven't yet read that fully, but can I check that
I'm right in thinking that the _current_ recommended stable kernel code
is still 3.7-neil-plus ?

(FYI, I experimented the other day with switching to systemd in my
userspace, which required enabling CONFIG_CGROUPS and CONFIG_FANOTIFY in
the kernel build, and it was nice to discover that cross-compiling is
now easy with the gnueabihf toolchain in Debian testing (which I think
was not the case last time I tried a few months ago).  Unfortunately I
found that a systemd boot ignores any settings in /etc/default/XXX
files, which prevented GPS and Bluetooth from working properly; and so I
reverted to the old Debian init system.)

Regards,
      Neil