[Gta04-owner] Experimental userspace with web UI, connman, dasher etc.

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Fri May 9 20:21:19 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Well, I have not done exhaustive research, but:
>
> - The FSO community appears to me a bit unpredictable.  For a while there is
> a burst of activity, then maybe nothing for a year, and then maybe someone
> will decide to rewrite the whole thing in another language, instead of
> fixing/polishing the last remaining problems.

FSO suffered from being mostly based on Openmoko/OpenPhoenux community
which also wasn't hyperactive during past few years, and also from
unavailability of its core maintainers, but there's an ongoing effort
to give it back some traction.
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/fso/2014-March/000002.html

Also, the first implementation was written in Python, which is great
for fast prototyping and development, but not really a perfect choice
for mission-critical daemons in such a constrained environment as
mobile phone (especially like GTA02). IMO the reimplementation was a
good choice and it was the only reimplementation that I'm aware of. Am
I missing something? ;)

And when it comes to oFono... from quickly checking their latest
commits looks like the remaining part of their community is mostly BMW
implementing handsfree ;]

> - Current FSO is written in a language (Vala) that I'm not personally
> familiar with, and for which I recall hearing anecdotes about people having
> trouble getting a toolchain working.  Possibly this isn't true anymore.
>
> - FSO as a project tries to do too much: fsodatad, fsoaudiod, fsonetworkd,
> fsopimd etc.  That's exactly the kind of empire-building "forklift" solution
> that really puts me off.  fsogsmd is fine (in principle), but can I use it
> on its own?  Also I wonder how hard it will be to connect an fsogsmd data
> connection into Connman.

Yes, every deamon can be used on its own, they only share some basic
set of libraries. Some can collaborate with others (like
fsogsmd/fsodeviced using fsousaged to register their resources, so
fsousaged can do power management), but AFAIK it's usually optional
and will graceful fallbacks. Even SHR does not use all of FSO daemons.

There is some connman integration module for fsogsmd, but I don't know
how much up-to-date it is.

>> I think that besides of fsogsmd (direct oFono competitor, which
>> actually came long before it) you might want to look at other FSO
>> daemons like fsodeviced or fsousaged. Depending on how low-level you
>> want to get with your DIY stuff, they might be very useful and they
>> IMO fit quite well into standard GNU/Linux ecosystem. They're even
>> packaged in Debian.
>

> OK, thanks for the tip.  I'll take another look at those three.  Is 0.12 the
> latest release?

Yes, however, there are a few useful commits after that release, so it
might be worth to check latest git in case of any problems.

Cheers,
--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/