[Gta04-owner] Problem with gta04-kernel.git

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu May 8 14:47:21 CEST 2014

Hello,

Am 08.05.2014 um 13:59 schrieb Alexandre Roumiantsev:

> Hello
>
> I think, that problem not in size. Right now I have done a trick - I
> fetch kernel separately using http protocol without a problem. Somewhere
> is a difference between git and http.

Yes. They use different daemons and TCP/IP ports.

http: uses the httpd at port 80 and while git: uses the git-daemon on some other port.

I am aware of these differences:
* different access rights on server (http serves all files in a given subdirectory - git serves git repositories only in perhaps another subdirectory; httpd and git-daemon usually run with different user/group)
* http is sort of an unreliable protocol. There is no automatic retry if download fails, and it appears that git is not correctly handling a broken connection
* git also needs that a file git-daemon-export-ok exists

And the last wasn't true any more. I don't know exactly why it was missing, but I think it is automatically managed by Indefero. Because there, you can create git repositories for each project.

Any config difference gives the message you see. Even a typo in the repository name or a // instead of / will not differentiate the error messages.

I have now succeeded with both:

git clone git://git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git
git clone git://git.goldelico.com/gta04-replicant.git

I think I will try to set up a cron task to create/check the git-daemon-export-ok file...