[Gta04-owner] Graphics SDK 5_01_01_01

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 15:28:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 25.04.2014 19:33, schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> Hi, sorry for the late reply.
>
> Am 19.04.2014 um 12:42 schrieb Josua Mayer:
>
>> # Now with attachment
>>
>> Am 18.04.2014 22:54, schrieb Josua Mayer:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> a while ago there was a new graphics sdk released by TI and I
>>> now took the time to get it to build for our 3.12 kernel,
>>> 3.12-wip-pvrsgx. I also checked if it would build against the
>>> 3.12.7 branch now, but it doesn't, the reset-framework patches
>>> in the wip branch are still needed.
>>> I haven't yet done any testing on the device, but will do that
>>> as soon as I have set myself up a fresh system on sdcard. I
>>> will then report if there are any problems running the GLES
>>> demos, or if everything is just working fine.
>>>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> So I have performed 2 test runs now using a fresh debian-wheezy
>> system, and my self-compiled kernels.
>>
>> First test: goldelico 3.12-wip-pvrsgx merged with 3.12.7, pvr
>> modules builtin, debug kernel panic at startup, see attached
>> wip3127.log
>
> Yes, that one was abandoned because I was not able to get it up and
> running.
>
>> Second test: goldelico 3.12-wip-pvrsgx merged with 3.12.7, pvr
>> modules not built pvr modules compiled directly from graphics
>> sdk boots fine modprobe pvrsrvkm fails with the following
>> message: root at gta04:/usr/local/lib# modprobe pvrsrvkm [
>> 359.127838] PVR: PVRCore_Init [  359.139831] PVR:
>> PVRSRVDriverProbe(pDevice=bf26cb90) [  359.154907] pvrsrvkm
>> pvrsrvkm: PVRSRVDriverProbe: error: reset_control_get [
>> 359.170318] pvrsrvkm: probe of pvrsrvkm failed with error -2 [
>> 359.177551] PVR: PVRCore_Init: major device 245
>
> Yes, I remember that there is something wrong with the "reset
> framework".
>
> TI isn't doing a really good job in making things compatible to
> mainline Linux (which is to some extent understandable - but makes
> it very complex if you don't want to use a TI kernel).

So I have been reading a lot of google and opened a few datasheets,
some grep, etc...
and stumbled on these:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/10/8/566
https://git.ti.com/wilink8-wlan/wilink8-wlan-ti-linux-kernel/commit/4422e028116e147ac190de0d17e4f05ddb95f307?format=patch
The ti_reset.c seems to contain processor-specific information about
the reset controller, but there is no dm or omap part mentioned,
though apparently DM and AM parts should be identical in this aspect.
And, the reset controller driver has to be loaded, I think thats what
the dts change is meant to achieve. I havent seen any hint on how to
do that in a boardfile (except arch/arm/mach-imx/src.c,
reset_controller_register).
This kernel stuff is still far beyond me sadly, so maybe this
information helps someone else to have a look.