[Gta04-owner] [Community] Phone based on raspberry pi?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 31 12:30:45 CEST 2014

Am 31.07.2014 um 12:15 schrieb Radek Polak:

> Hi,
> why not build phone on raspberry pi? Check this board:
>
> http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-raspberry-pi-compatible-sbc-targets-wearables/
>
> I looks that the board has all that's needed. Just solder modem+display, print a case and enjoy cheap & free phone.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds too easy to solve all problems designing a decent (smart)phone :)

Just an observation: the OMAP3 system on the GTA04 is about half the size as that SoC module.
So it is likely that you get an ugly phone out of that approach (well, I don't want to say that the
Neo / GTA04 case is a modern and attractive design :)

The problem is to squeeze everything into a small case. Miniaturization drives
cost exponentially. And don't forget buttons, speakers, microphone, antenna, GPS,
and some other things not on this RasPi SBC.

Sorry, I am too negative and I am trying to break out of this bad habit.

Maybe a more elaborated concept (e.g. complete material list, sum of volumina, sketch
of how a case design could look like) is a better basis to discuss and find out where this
idea can lead to.