[Gta04-owner] v3.16-rc6

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Jul 24 22:04:00 CEST 2014

On 2014-07-24 13:58, Neil Jerram wrote:

> Many thanks for your thoughts.  The first thing I plan to do, probably
> this evening, is to install the -dbg packages for xserver-xorg-*.
> Hopefully I'll then get a meaningful backtrace in Xorg.0.log, which I
> can search for and/or report.

Unfortunately this hasn't worked.  The log still just has:

[   678.002] (EE)
[   678.002] (EE) Backtrace:
[   678.002] (EE)
[   678.003] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x6dc4367a
[   678.003] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   678.003] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[   678.003] (EE)
[   678.004] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
	 at http://wiki.x.org
  for help.
[   678.004] (EE) Please also check the log file at
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   678.004] (EE)
[   678.017] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Maybe X backtraces aren't implemented on ARM?  Or I need to install some
more -dbg packages?

> As another option (and especially if the backtrace indicates a driver
> problem), I could try the -omap driver instead of -fbdev, and I
> believe that would also require enabling CONFIG_DRM_OMAP in the kernel
> build.  Is that worth a try (with 3.16-rc5/6), or are there reasons
> why that can't possibly work on GTA04?

Display with this driver appears to work, but X still segfaults when I
touch a button in my UI.  It needs a piece of Xorg conf like this:

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Video Device"
     Driver         "omap"
     Option         "Debug"         "false"