[Gta04-owner] Power consumption with 3.12

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Sat Nov 9 12:44:43 CET 2013

On 11/07/2013 01:06 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> I just tried disabling omap3_isp and am again seeing ~200ma at idle but I doubt that is related to the wifi change.  With omap3_isp disabled I did see 53-56ma suspend.
> Ok, maybe the ISP driver does not support suspend?
>
>> https://linuxtv.org/patch/7836/  I don't fully understand this, but it sounds like they disable some cpuidle features when camera is active, but maybe our camera driver says it is always active?  Maybe I will try to look at this tonight.
>  From the dmesg printk() that are still in the driver I think the camera is only powered up and each time you open the video device. So we either have a bug there (i.e. it is not really powered down although it tells) or the ISP subsystem does not suspend (clocks disabled?).

I had a userspace problem.  After enabling kernel tracing I found that
enlightenment was grabbing onto all of the camera modules and keeping
them.  Apparently part of the E libraries called 'emotion' does a scan
of all potential webcams.  It fails on all of the omap3_isp, videodev,
sensor devices and somehow keeps them open.  I mentioned it in #e on
freenode and disabled the scans on my build.  I now have working camera
and lower power consumption. Probably users running other than SHR won't
have this problem.

Ben