[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 - revitalization?

Peter Petros.Listig at fdrive.com.au
Fri Nov 8 02:38:37 CET 2013

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Hi all,
> after the Neo900 campaign was unexpectedly successful so far that I am now thinking
> of doing a similar thing to revitalize the GTA04A5 idea.

I am a silent lurker here for a month or so.. I am having a flu but I hope
I do not sound to delirious here;-)

> For those who don't remember - the last variant that was built is the GTA04A4 revision
> which can still be improved. After so much time it even must be improved, because
> some components are no longer available to buy.

That seems to be a problem with a lot of open source development related
to mobiles/tablets at the moment - when "you have it right" the world sees
the next generation of hardware already..

For me it is one reason behind an idea I call "the connection watch" at
the moment.

It basically puts a "connectivity modem" in front of the other devices you
are using.

This way you can concentrate on a modem module as a GTM601W (e.g.), the
CPU and "other stuff" does not matter that much.

The functions are "sent through" to the devices behind via WiFi IP only.
There you do not worry about the newest GSM or 3/4G device - it is not
needed.

Decoupling parts is making developer efforts easier: "Do it once and do it
right" - pure Unix philosophy.

It also gives back something we have lost since we are using mobile
connctions: The ability to monitor, enable/disable them all together and
be sure that we are really off-line.

Thanks for Neal H. Walfield for the food for thoughts.

> http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/open-hard-software-event/2013-November/000506.html

I will read a bit more about the prjects mentioned there
(http://genode.org/, http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/dissent/)

I am also interested in thre talk:-)

The "connection watcch" could be part of the full puzzle, providing
encrypted connections, able to be monitored and enabled by the user at
demand.

Well, at the moment I have doubts to get it small and working as a watch
(e.g. power supply is a problem, I even thought of Autoquartz..), at the
moment a "connection amulet" would be a first step. "Connecton watch"
sounds better though..

It would also be a fashion statement: "What are you wearing there?" "A
connection watch" "What's that for?" and it could be a trigger to spark
conversation about privacy etc. - something obviously needed, I think.

What do you think?

Regards
Peter