[Gta04-owner] 3G / 2G in Qtmoko

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Nov 1 19:28:05 CET 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:41:12 +0100
Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:20:55 PM Andreas Kemnade wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have found several places where there are no usable 2G networks
> > available but 3G networks are available. With a Qtmoko which sends
> > at_opsys=0,2 in such situations you cannot do simple phonecalls without
> > console hacking. I do a at_opsys=1,2 in such situations to switch to
> > 3g only.
> >
> > My wishlist for the next qtmoko update:
> > a gui switch for that.
>
> Hi,
> already done ;-) In NeoControl you can switch it from GUI. But it's not
> immediate and needs QtMoko restart and then it is permanent. If you need it
> just temporarily and without restarting, then i can implement it too...

That is nice.
Hmm, I should have done apt-get upgrade before writing the mail.
I think this belongs more to the area where you can select different gsm networks.
I guess such a function would be interesting for all mobile phones, not
only the GTA04. Replicant and Android also have such a switch.
Limiting to 2G not only good for workarounds but also for ordinary reasons.
One might sometimes limit to 2G for power consumption reasons or if there is only
expensive roaming.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade