[Gta04-owner] openSUSE 12.3 available

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at googlemail.com
Sat May 25 21:47:24 CEST 2013

On Sat, 18 May 2013 11:33, Christoph Bänsch wrote
>> I can now say that openSUSE 12.3 for ARM runs on the GTA04.
>

> Hi,
> Today I installed openSUSE on my SD Card. It works good! Thank you for
> your work!
>
> But: I have had some problems.
>
> XFCE will not start automatically. I have no idea why.
> I Pluged the serial cable in. I entered 'startx' because I thought the
> XServer isn't running.
> Now the XServer runs and XFCE started correctly.
As to my experience xorg starts on its own but quite a whiel after the
login prompt appears on the screen.

> I saw the onscreen Keyboard only one time. I looks great!! I think
> after improve the keyboard it will be the best onscreen keyboard.
it seems to only appear automatically on login screen. And it goes away
when you open the menu for reboot/shutdown there. I have not been able
to bring it up again afterwards. I think this needs fixing in the
lightdm greeter code.
For making maliit appear on programs within xfce some configuration is
needed and possibly the gtk3 inputmethod for maliit.

> I have noticed that the WLAN device isn't working (or I'm just too
> stupid to make it work.)
> I think it is because of the missing patches.
I have not even tried to use the wlan device on suse yet. First,
NetworkManager is not used yet(though I plan to activate it), so all is
ifup/down and commandline, and I also dont know if the required firmware
is installed.
No clue about missing patches since its using the latest neil-plus
kernel without modification.

> But In summary, I can say it's very greatful!  Thank you very much!
Good to hear