[Gta04-owner] Android 3.0 kernel for GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue May 14 09:14:14 CEST 2013

Hi Paul,

Am 09.05.2013 um 12:49 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski:

> Le jeudi 09 mai 2013 à 12:01 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a écrit :
>> What I wonder is why you still need to distribute your own MLO/u-boot and bootscr?
>
> MLO and u-boot are just here for the sake of rebuilding them (moreover
> they're not actually executed unless the user presses AUX).

Ok, I see. It is not harmful, but some duplication (and therefore potential
source of mistakes and bugs).

> The thing with boot.scr is that I had the old replicant 2.3 boot.scr
> flashed in NAND and it would fail to load boot.img from the first vfat
> partition, so I wrote another one to put on sdcard. Moving boot.img to
> uImage makes the standard NAND boot script work as well (except that is
> shows an unnecessary yellow screen before the splash). I don't really

This may now be redundant. It was because the old 2.6.32 kernel did
reinitialize the video system which made some strange flicker.

I will check if we still need this with a 3.7 kernel.

> see what difference it makes to use the Replicant bootscr or the
> Goldelico one in that case.
>
>> Are there features missing in the NAND boot system? If yes, please elaborate
>> and they can be added.
>
> Yellow screen at boot is annoying. For leds indicating status, I see
> that it goes red -> orange -> green.
>
> In my boot.scr, I decided to make it orange at first and green if it
> succeeds/red if it fails (whatever 'it' refers to, mmc detect, file
> load, etc). That way the orange is shown longer and the user has time to
> see it.

I will look into that if we can make that the standard.

>> The ideal world should be that only kernels and rootfs systems are on SD
>> cards because that makes the life much easier for users wanting to swap SDs
>> between systems or haven different systems on one SD.
>
> I think we can't expect the users to have one particular bootscr
> installed on NAND, so I believe we must provide one on sdcard that fits
> our needs (be it the Goldelico one or the Replicant one). With boot.scr
> in sdcard, we are sure that it tries to loads the correct file, which is
> particularly needed if the user decided to replace the NAND boot.scr so
> that it boots directly from NAND.

Well, there should be *no* reason for any user not to use the standard
boot.scr in NAND (unless he/she wants to play with it).

All system/kernel specific customization should be done in bootargs.scr

But let's see how things evolve. And keep us informed about progress!