[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Wed Mar 27 10:44:16 CET 2013

On 2013-03-26 17:00, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

>> As I understand it, one of the primary design goals of the GTA04 was
>> replacing a GTA01/02 motherboard.  This goal restricted the components
>> chosen, especially the most expensive component, the UMTS modem.
>
> Yes. But there aren't many alternatives for the UMTS modem.

What about the CPU, memory and LCD?  Surely there are significant
savings to be had here?

>> Designing a new, unconstrained phone would open up the possibility
>> of choosing components with a lower cost.
>
> Hm. The component costs are not really driven or influenced much by
> Openmoko compatibility. They are mainly driven by availablility in
> small quantities.

Hmm :-/

> Generally the component cost goes down if we can order let's say
> 10k...
>
> A rough estimate is that if 1-10 units is 100%, 100 is 80% 1k is 60%
> 10k is 40% and 1 Mio is 20%. So we could expect 250 EUR for a full
> GTA04A5 board (i.e. ca. 350 EUR for a complete device) if we can
> produce a batch of 10k needing a credit line of 2.5 Mio EUR...

This is not unattainable.  The question is: who might have an interest
in producing such a system who also has 2.5 Mio EUR to invest?  I can
think of a few companies.  The idea of crowdfunding comes to mind again
as well.

To be successful here, though, would require learning from the past.
In particular, I see: (1) producing a whole phone as the product, and
(2) having a solid OS from the start.  The second point will require
more time.

Perhaps it is worth being mindful of this idea in our current efforts
so that any future possible investment has a greater chance of success?
Specifically, perhaps focussing on stability and polished interfaces?

I think a complete free-as-can-be phone with a 3D-printed, hackable
case and a solid OS would be a novel and attractive product and likely
to find investors.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }