[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Kevin Hremeviuc khremeviuc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 23:22:10 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 12:27 +0000, Dominic Walden wrote:
> It's a shame we are so used to dirt cheap hardware made in China.
> However, there may be an opportunity even in that. Could you sell your
> devices as being "ethically sourced"? (i.e. not made in Chinese
> sweat-shops.)
>
> You may find a market from people willing to pay a bit more for a
> phone if they know the components have been manufactured by workers on
> a living wage. See, for example, www.fairphone.com.
>
> On the other hand, it may be a big job to actually ensure this is the
> case with your devices. Especially as it's quite common for
> manufacturers to use raw materials from places like DRC, which is
> another ethical issue you'd have to consider.
>

> Btw, I was considering getting a Letux 400. Is it possible to run an
> operating system on it that is 100% free software? I understand it
> runs Lenny, but Debian only removed non-free software from its main
> repositories in versions starting with Squeeze. Do we know if the MIPs
> version of Squeeze or Wheezy, or a distro based on this, runs on this
> device? Or another fully free distro.

I have a Letux 400 running Debian Wheezy. There is a later kernel
available here http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/WebHome
(this site seems to have issues most of the time but suddenly worked for
a bit last year). It's a 2.6.26 kernel, I think, so with Squeeze and
Wheezy udev doesn't run. LXDE runs reasonably. I use links2 for web
browsing (anything else is just way too heavy) and muPDF for PDF viewing
Gnome games runs OK on it, apart from the start up time of the
application (sol and mahjong).