[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Mar 26 13:58:54 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 26.03.2013 um 13:49 schrieb Hermann Schwärzler:

> Hello
>
> On 03/26/2013 01:27 PM, Dominic Walden wrote:
>> It's a shame we are so used to dirt cheap hardware made in China.
>> However, there may be an opportunity even in that. Could you sell your
>> devices as being "ethically sourced"? (i.e. not made in Chinese
>> sweat-shops.)
>>
>> You may find a market from people willing to pay a bit more for a
>> phone if they know the components have been manufactured by workers on
>> a living wage. See, for example, www.fairphone.com.
>
> There is an article in the c't magazine on this project:
> http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt/2013/08/78/
>
> @Nikolaus: If your are interested in this article but don't have
> immediate access to it I can send you a copy of mine through private mail.

Yes, I know about this initiatives.

> From reading that article I am not quite sure how much of that project
> is marketing: Many aspects of trying to produce such a thing as a phone

Almost everything...

> in a fair way are important. But IMO it's strange they decided to first
> go for the mining-practices of (some) important metals on the one hand
> and on the other hand are looking for a production company somewhere in
> Asia!
>
> [...]
> But still maybe it's possible to join forces with them as far as buying
> parts is concerned? Or giving them your contacts to production
> facilities in Europe?

This is not the problem. If we have demand, we can look into every
piece of components and production. Although I would not expect too
much from it. The main components are OPTION module, OMAP3530 and
some more chips. You get them from only one supplier and there is no
choice. We can only choose the production location and that is already
in Germany in a small owner-operated company.

I think the Linux/Open Source community itself isn't interested enough
in what we all (here on the gta04-owner list) do. Did Linus mention us?
RMS did, but only because we are not even good enough in his eyes.

We are a small circle of people seeing something good in the GTA04
while everyone outside our group doesn't.