[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dominic Walden dominicwalden at tesco.net
Tue Mar 26 13:27:48 CET 2013

It's a shame we are so used to dirt cheap hardware made in China.
However, there may be an opportunity even in that. Could you sell your
devices as being "ethically sourced"? (i.e. not made in Chinese
sweat-shops.)

You may find a market from people willing to pay a bit more for a
phone if they know the components have been manufactured by workers on
a living wage. See, for example, www.fairphone.com.

On the other hand, it may be a big job to actually ensure this is the
case with your devices. Especially as it's quite common for
manufacturers to use raw materials from places like DRC, which is
another ethical issue you'd have to consider.

Btw, I was considering getting a Letux 400. Is it possible to run an
operating system on it that is 100% free software? I understand it
runs Lenny, but Debian only removed non-free software from its main
repositories in versions starting with Squeeze. Do we know if the MIPs
version of Squeeze or Wheezy, or a distro based on this, runs on this
device? Or another fully free distro.

Thanks,

Dominic