[Gta04-owner] New stable "Production" image (Debian/LXDE and 3.7 kernel) for NAND flash
Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 21 14:30:15 CET 2013
finally there is the first stable release of the "Production" image for the GTA04 NAND flash.
You should install it to your device independent of usingQtMoko, SHR, Replicant or something
else on a separate SD card because it adds new functions to the boot system.
What is new?
* upgraded to Kernel 3.7 (neil-plus)
* PVR/SGX driver driver compiled into the kernel
* camera driver compiled into the kernel (still alpha stage)
* added UBIFS support for Kernel
* switched boot.scr to use UBIFS when booting from NAND
* updated flash-nand script to write NAND with UBIFS
* updated to latest Debian Squeeze 6.0.7 (Wheezy will come in one of the next releases)
* added media-ctl tool (for OMAP3 ISP / camera)
* added ext4 support to U-Boot (and boot.scr for multi-boot)
* ftd command (device tree) added U-Boot (not tested)
* installation simplified by providing a binary disk image (incl. partition table)
As before this image comes preconfigured to boot Debian/LXDE/X11 to test&demonstrate the hardware.
AFAIK the GTA04 is now the only smart handheld device that is being shipped or easily upgraded to a
Linux as modern as 3.7 and Debian stable.
1. Please download the stable disk image from:
2. Insert a fresh SD card (or one you want to erase!) with at least 1 GByte into your SD card reader
3. unmount if the SD was automounted by your system
4. overwrite SD card with image
zcat sd-image.dd.gz | dd bs=8M of=/dev/sdc
* replace /dev/sdc by your SD card raw device!
* make sure you don't try to overwrite your root file system!!!
* copy to the raw device and not partitions (e.g. /dev/sdc1)
* if you want to download and flash in one step:
wget http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130321-GTA04-stable-3.7+ext4+ubifs/sd-image.dd.gz -O - | gunzip | dd bs=8M of=/dev/sdc
5. eject the device
6. remove SD card from card reader
7. insert into GTA04
8. boot (maybe you need to press the AUX button)
9. the screen should turn red and the boot system flash the latest u-boot and boot.scr to NAND (this step is important because UBIFS needs a modified boot.scr)
10. the device will boot to LXDE (using the 3.7 kernel on the SD card)
11. either connect through RS232 (login: root, passwd: empty), ssh root at 192.168.0.202 over USB (no password) or use the LXDE root terminal + keyboard (if possible since the touch scren may not yet be initialized correctly) to execute these commands (as root):
12. after the device has turned off, remove the SD card and boot (from NAND). LXDE should appear again now running from UBIFS.
13. now you can and should erase and reformat the SD card (so that you don't accidentially flash the NAND again by using this card)
As usual (and required by GPL), you can find the individual files (MLO, u-boot, boot.scr, uImage, sources as tgz etc.) to build the sd-image.dd.gz here:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gta04-owner