[Gta04-owner] Impressions from running Replicant

Alexander Rumyantsev ran at mail.wplus.net
Tue Jun 25 12:07:42 CEST 2013

> Hi,
> finally I have found some time to experiment with Replicant
> and Android (well, when digging deeply into hardware design,
> production issues and kernel bugs there isn't plenty room
> for learning something new).
>
> I made an SD card with a Replicant image (2.3), put it into the
> GTA04 (L2804) and after a while the nice red replicant
> robot did appear. Then, the android home screen came
> up! Fine!
>
> My first impression is that it has some similarities with
> QtMoko (it is difficult to judge who did take which ideas
> from whom and some may even have the same source
> or have become common knowledge).
>
> It wasn't really difficult to find out how it works, how to power
> on/off the device, how to get back to the start screen. How
> to go to the settings. Even finding a Terminal program
> wasn't difficult.
>
> The only strange effect I have is that when powering off, the
> screen becomes dark. But on powering on again, I just see a
> small blinking underscore cursor and the Android GUI has
> gone :(

Please, try
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-rRgKAzYyoBbVdIS0l6aXY4SGc/edit?usp=sharing
The problem was solved.
To prepare working SD execute ./replicant_gta04_install.sh
system /dev/sdb into restored
directory. ( change /dev/sdb to your device ).
Boot from 1 partition using ordinary ( HW-testing/QT ) uBoot from NAND.

> I did not find a trick to get it back. Pressing the power button
> just toggles on/off. Inserting an USB cable makes the power
> LED become green (i.e. to indicate charging).
>
> I have not tested with a SIM card so I can't tell how well
> UMTS and telephony are working.
>
> Then I installed Eclipse and the android developer tools
> and found an exampe code to program a small pocket
> calculator. This did need some time to debug because
> there are minor changes between the screen shots and
> my Eclipse installation. After approx. 2 hours of work the
> code did run in the Android emulator.
>
> Then I booted the GTA04, plugged in the USB cable
> and tried to run the code on the GTA04. This was really
> easy! The GTA04 did show up on the list of devices,
> download was done automatically and my pocket
> calculator did run on the GTA04. Within less than 2
> minutes.
>
> So I must say I am really impressed what the Replicant
> developers have crafted! Kudos to you and keep up your
> great work!
>
> I am starting to think about making a goldelico supported
> replicant image so that future GTA04 owners can order
> it right away on a big SD card. This might help a little
> to increase interest in our work, although it is obvious that
> the GTA04 does not really stand out in the big, big crowd
> of Android devices.
>
> Nikolaus

Please, some support to solve kernels problem!!!!!!!!!

Alexandre