[Gta04-owner] First hw-validation release with Wheezy armhf 3.7

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 12 22:18:27 CEST 2013

Am 12.06.2013 um 22:03 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> finally, I have released the first hw-validation image with
>> a 3.7 kernel and armhf-Wheezy. The target is to have a feature
>> complete kernel (incl. all sensors, all drivers, GPU, Camera,
>> hw-voice-routing etc.) and some minimal GUI so that the
>> /root/hw-test script can find out the health of all components.
>
> That's great, thanks.  I'm currently experimenting on top of a similar
> environment (armhf-wheezy rootfs + neil-plus kernel), and your
> announcement has helped me realise that I could use your image as my
> base instead of bootstrapping my own (which I haven't yet managed).

Yes, it is a good starting point. But you can also just take the "bootstrap"
script to see how it is done to get to a working wheezy image. Or
start with the new image and bootstrap your own starting from there.

> (I'm trying to create a very simple system with the following pieces:
> - connman + a suitable mobile UI for it
> - dasher (for text entry)
> - offlineimap.
> The idea is a device that will simply remain connected to the internet
> as much as possible, monitor an IMAP mailbox, and indicate when new
> messages have arrived.)

I also though about a simple VNC image that allows to use the device
as a remote terminal as soon as it gets close to WLAN or UMTS is somehow
enabled. So VNC is probably not enough - it needs a screen to set up
WLAN and the intended server and recognize the AUX button to switch
on/off UMTS. Maybe a local virtual keyboard is also better than a remote
one...

>> New features are (plus some more):
>> * Wheezy / armhf
>> * improved dejitter in touch driver so that it can be used with evdev
>> * X11 configured to use evdev touch (instead of tslib)
>
> One nit here: you say "configured", but in fact I believe the Xorg in
> wheezy works perfectly with no configuration at all - i.e. with no
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  At least that is what I found when experimenting as
> described at
> http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2013-May/004536.html.
>
> If you are currently including an /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the
> hw-validation image, I think you could delete it.

I am not sure how it can auto-configure e.g. the screen size in mm.

But for many other things you may be right, especially since we can
now use the evdev touchscreen which was most of the "configuration"
to switch to the tslib.

>> * Symptom: the screen turns white instead of black after a while.
>>  It appears that the display backlight is no longer being turned off when
>>  DSS (or Xorg?) calls td028ttec1_panel_suspend()
>
> Hmm.  I'm not sure, but I think that the screen turned black when I was
> running wheezy Xorg with a neil-plus kernel and QtMoko rootfs (but with
> QtMoko shut down).  I'll try again to check.

Yes, it did work well with the previous Squeeze image and Neil's kernel
but now it isn't. Maybe it is something because the xorg.conf does too much?

Thanks for the hints for further experimentation with xorg.