[Gta04-owner] First hw-validation release with Wheezy armhf 3.7

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Jun 12 22:03:46 CEST 2013

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> Hi,
> finally, I have released the first hw-validation image with
> a 3.7 kernel and armhf-Wheezy. The target is to have a feature
> complete kernel (incl. all sensors, all drivers, GPU, Camera,
> hw-voice-routing etc.) and some minimal GUI so that the
> /root/hw-test script can find out the health of all components.

That's great, thanks.  I'm currently experimenting on top of a similar
environment (armhf-wheezy rootfs + neil-plus kernel), and your
announcement has helped me realise that I could use your image as my
base instead of bootstrapping my own (which I haven't yet managed).

(I'm trying to create a very simple system with the following pieces:
- connman + a suitable mobile UI for it
- dasher (for text entry)
- offlineimap.
The idea is a device that will simply remain connected to the internet
as much as possible, monitor an IMAP mailbox, and indicate when new
messages have arrived.)

> New features are (plus some more):
> * Wheezy / armhf
> * improved dejitter in touch driver so that it can be used with evdev
> * X11 configured to use evdev touch (instead of tslib)

One nit here: you say "configured", but in fact I believe the Xorg in
wheezy works perfectly with no configuration at all - i.e. with no
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  At least that is what I found when experimenting as
described at
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2013-May/004536.html.

If you are currently including an /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the
hw-validation image, I think you could delete it.

> * Symptom: the screen turns white instead of black after a while.
>   It appears that the display backlight is no longer being turned off when
>   DSS (or Xorg?) calls td028ttec1_panel_suspend()

Hmm.  I'm not sure, but I think that the screen turned black when I was
running wheezy Xorg with a neil-plus kernel and QtMoko rootfs (but with
QtMoko shut down).  I'll try again to check.

Regards,
        Neil