[Gta04-owner] is the gta04 a reliable phone for non-geeks?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Jun 10 13:19:43 CEST 2013

On Monday, June 10, 2013 12:26:01 PM e.waelde wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 06/09/2013 06:12 PM, Thomas Koch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm still not decided about which phone to order (fairphone/gta04/old
> > android from ebay). I'm just a software developer and not a hardware
> > hacker, so I'd like to order a phone that I can unpack, turn on and use
> > as a reliable phone. I don't want to assemble anything. Only later on
> > I'd like to be able to upgrade the software or install my own software
> > on it.
> >
> > Can the gta04 fulfill this expectation? I'm a bit confused about the
> > different options available on https://shop.goldelico.com . What should
> > I order in my case (including a camera)?
>
> If you have a "neo freerunner" aka gta02, then the gta04 mainboard is
> an interesting upgrade. However, as far as I know there are currently
> no gta04 boards in stock. There is discussion on how to spark more interest
> to produce a new batch.
>
> If you do not have a freerunner already, you need to buy one (if possible).
> I do not know, whether freerunners are still available. So you have the
> cost of a freerunner PLUS the cost of the gta04 mainboard PLUS
> disassembling the freerunner to replace the mainboard. Be aware that you
> need the case, display, speakers, antenna from the "old" freerunner to
> have a functional phone with the gta04 mainboard.

Christoph Pulster has probably fully working and assembled GTA04 phones. You
can try contacting him. http://pulster.de/ is his eShop, if you need contact.
You can search this mailing list for the offer.

> If you use your phone all the time an if you want it to "just work",
> without installing OS on a sdcard etc. then the gta02/04 is not the best
> option for you in my opinion.

For me GTA04 worked quite nice as a phone. It has many positives like fast
GUI, nice GPS etc... but there are two phone issues you might be avare of:

1/ There might be some bug in modem because it sometimes restarts - but it's
quite rare and i can live with it.

2/ The power management is for me on the edge of usablility. If you dont mind
charging the phone everyday or maybe every second day then it's ok.

Regards

Radek