[Gta04-owner] is the gta04 a reliable phone for non-geeks?

e.waelde ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Mon Jun 10 12:26:01 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas,

On 06/09/2013 06:12 PM, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still not decided about which phone to order (fairphone/gta04/old android
> from ebay). I'm just a software developer and not a hardware hacker, so I'd
> like to order a phone that I can unpack, turn on and use as a reliable phone.
> I don't want to assemble anything. Only later on I'd like to be able to
> upgrade the software or install my own software on it.
>
> Can the gta04 fulfill this expectation? I'm a bit confused about the different
> options available on https://shop.goldelico.com . What should I order in my
> case (including a camera)?

If you have a "neo freerunner" aka gta02, then the gta04 mainboard is
an interesting upgrade. However, as far as I know there are currently
no gta04 boards in stock. There is discussion on how to spark more interest
to produce a new batch.

If you do not have a freerunner already, you need to buy one (if possible).
I do not know, whether freerunners are still available. So you have the
cost of a freerunner PLUS the cost of the gta04 mainboard PLUS disassembling
the freerunner to replace the mainboard. Be aware that you need the case,
display, speakers, antenna from the "old" freerunner to have a functional
phone with the gta04 mainboard.

> The gta04 has only one SIM card slot?
yes.

If you use your phone all the time an if you want it to "just work", without
installing OS on a sdcard etc. then the gta02/04 is not the best option for
you in my opinion.

just my 2cent,
Erich