[Gta04-owner] hw routing audio patch removed in 3.7?

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sat Jun 8 22:46:58 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 22:00 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 08.06.2013 um 21:09 schrieb Andreas Kemnade:
> > I think about two possibilities:
> >
> > 1.reflect every link with a corresponding link structure (the twl<->gsm
> > link has no structure at the moment). If something is not linked, it
> > should shut up aka be tristated.
>
> Sounds good.
>

> > Add infrastructure to switch link connection. The board file should know
> > about possible connections.
>
> Yes. Would be probably the best thing.
>
> But if it needs some special user-space code like the OMAP3 ISP
> needing media-ctl it becomes a quite complex solution just for our problem
> and likelihood to get it upstream is very low.

Perhaps some glue file with a mixer setting for each connection would be
enough.

> > 2. make it a  boot-time setting, just in the board file, controlled by a
> > kernel parameter (for A3 compatibility testing) and hardware revision
> > info.
>
> Hm. If it can't be switched by user space we get difficulties in testing
> the McBSP connection. And - there are applications that want to have
> software routing (e.g. digital answering machine or text2speech).

Yes, GTA04 cannot be simply thought as a simple phone. If these are
special cases then having a special command line i think would not be
too problematic.

> So what about
>
> 3. a "simple" solution. Just keep it almost as it is but only move the
> board dependent pinmux code to the board file and pass the address
> of that function in the platform data?

Well, I think we should stick with that first. I think there are other
areas in that twl4030.c file which are more important. Puting more brain
cycles in squeezing out some mA standby current there might be more
interesting.

> Or
>
> 4. we could implement the missing set_tristate for OMAP3 McBSPs...
> This would benefit many other OMAP3 users and I would assume it
> has the highest likelihood for upstream acceptance.

That needs also an interface so that set_tristate is called and then we
are again at 1. Hmm, is that pinmux stuff abstracted enough so that we
do not have to handle special cases for every OMAP?

> For the TWL it may already be there (or lost over time):
>
> http://git.opencores.org/?a=commit&p=linux&h=6814044324e745e7c55aaf4bd47bdfd9a51d842a

Yes, these tristate functions still exists.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade